Honestly, this probably isn't the most professional way to DIY...but I usually just wing it and use what I got in my hizzle! (it's cheaper)....
It was pretty easy...I got the studs I wanted, the flats I wanted to stud...and made shit happen!
What you'll need:
1. X-acto Knife
1. Figure out the pattern/design for the studs (obviously)
2. Make an imprint of the stud prongs on the patent leather
3. Use the X-acto knife to make small slits through the leather, in the place of the imprint
4. Stick the prongs through the slits
5. Use pliers to fold down the prongs on the inside of the shoe